Here we are again at globalization. It seems we end up talking about globalization in every subject, because it's somehow relevant to everything. It is, that's the whole point of it. It's taking over and creating a standard for the world. After reading the four articles this week though, I don't think it's as far along as some would have us believe.
I felt a bit wary of the two reviews, as Thomas Friedman, the author they were reviewing worked for the New York Times, and the reviews were done by the NYT and the Washington Post. But in the end, both papers didn't love the book. It sounds like Friedman is very exciteable, but I do think he may be onto something, just not as evolved as he'd like to think.
"The world is spiky" by Richard Florida, made some interesting points. By showing the readers where on the map the most light use, etc are coming from, we can realize that not everywhere is at the same level and doing the same things. We already know that most people live in cities though, so there would be unbalance in that sense. There are many parts of the world that aren't very hospitable, but it doesn't explain the few obvious centers of activity.
I think globalization definitely is something that is happening, as witnessed by Electronic Colonialism Theory, but it's not all powerful yet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment